Monday, January 24, 2011

Sculpting with Colours

Arts Explorer #2: Instant Sculpture




As I was looking around my house for random items to sculpt with, I came across a box of pencil crayons. For some reason, when I saw them, I stopped and thought about the variety of colours and how interesting it would be to form some sort of multi-coloured structure. I picked up the box and ran to my room and began to stack the pencil crayons. Although they kept rolling and sliding off one another, I kept going so I could build a three-dimensional, multi-coloured, squared structure. It definitely took a lot of patience and stability to stack them but in the end, I was able to get at least four rows of pencil crayons on top of each other.
Colour is what initially sparked my imagination when thinking of which household items I could work with. I believe colour is what gives a picture, painting, drawing, sculpture, etc, its life. Colours catch viewer’s attention and engage them into the artwork. I believe that colour is a very important element of art because of the many creations that can be designed with it. In my perspective, colour adds depth and feeling to any sort of artwork. Colour can be defined as “the visual sensation of light caused by stimulating the cones of the retina” (Schirrmacher & Fox.136, 2009), but can have so many more meanings as to how colour can make us feel. I have also created the shape of a heart using the tips of the pencil crayons.  In my sculptures, I feel that the importance of colour is seen to visually attract attention to the stimulating pattern/design.

                   
             Colour adds life to artwork 




Designs and patterns made with colours are the most visually appealing type of artwork that I am interested in, which is why I came up with creating a shape with the pencil crayons. I think it is eye catching and unique. The use of the just the pencil crayons tips to form the shape, and the rest of the pencil crayon facing the outside of the heart, gives a more defined and stimulating appreance created by the colourful lines. 







          Schirrmacher, R & Fox J.E. (2009). Art & Creative Development for Young Children.
Delmar: Cengage Learning.
 

       
       

No comments:

Post a Comment